Re: Hiding data in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Hiding data in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Hector Beyers <hqbeyers@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> > does ANYONE have any tips on hiding data on a database server? This means
> > that data is stored in places that is not necessarily picked up in the
> > schema of the database. I am doing some research on databases and need some
> > direction.

On a more serious note, I would think the only way to do that would be
to have columns that are misnamed and don't do what you expect.

For example, have an image column that stores image data with your
secret data hidden via steganography.  You could do something similar
with some scheme to hide data in text fields or numeric fields, but I
don't know of any specific technique.

Assuming you mean _hide_ and not _secure_.  To secure it, encrypt it
(using something like pgcrypto).

But in the schema?  I doubt it.  PG's data storage is pretty transparent,
you'd probably have to hack the source to pull that off.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com