Re: ALTER TYPE 3: add facility to identify further no-work cases - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: ALTER TYPE 3: add facility to identify further no-work cases
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> If you didn't mind inverting the sense of the result
>>> then we could use "EXECUTE IF function_name".
>
>> What about borrowing from the trigger syntax?
>
>> WITH FUNCTION function_name (argument_type, [...]) WHEN
>> function_that_returns_true_when_the_call_is_needed
>
> That's a good thought.  Or we could use WHEN NOT check_function if you
> want to keep to the negative-result semantics.

Seems a bit contorted; I don't see any particular reason to prefer
positive vs negative semantics in this case.

>>> One point worth making here is that eval_const_expressions() does not
>>> currently care very much whether a function call came from cast syntax
>>> or explicitly.  It might be worth thinking about whether we want to have
>>> a generic this-function-call-is-a-no-op simplifier hook available for
>>> *all* functions not just those that are casts.  I'm not sure we want to
>>> pay the overhead of another pg_proc column, but it's something to think
>>> about.
>
>> It's not obvious to me that it has a use case outside of casts, but
>> it's certainly possible I'm missing something.
>
> A possible example is simplifying X + 0 to X, or X * 0 to 0.  I've never
> wanted to inject such datatype-specific knowledge directly into the
> planner, but if we viewed it as function-specific knowledge supplied by
> a per-function helper routine, maybe it would fly.  Knowing that a cast
> function does nothing useful for particular cases could be seen as a
> special case of this type of simplification.

Oh, I see.  The times I've seen an issue with those kinds of
expressions have always been related to selectivity estimation.  For
example, you'd like to get a selectivity estimate of 1-nullfrac for
(x+0)=x and 0 for (x+1)=x, and maybe (1-nullfrac)/2 for (x%2)=0.  This
would only handle the first of those cases, so I'm inclined to think
it's too weak to have much general utility.  The casting cases can, I
think, have a much larger impact - they occur more often in practice,
and if you can (e.g.) avoid an entire table rewrite, that's a pretty
big deal.

Another semi-related problem case I've run across is that CASE WHEN
... THEN 1 WHEN ... THEN 2 END ought to be known to only ever emit 1
and 2, and the selectivity of comparing that to some other value ought
to be computed on that basis.  But now I'm really wandering off into
the weeds.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company