Re: why is max standby delay only 35 minutes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: why is max standby delay only 35 minutes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 04:00, Robert Treat <rob@xzilla.net> wrote:
>> I have a server where I wanted to do some reporting on a standby, and
>> wanted to set the max standby delay to 1 hour. upon doing that, i get
>> this in the logs:
>>
>> 2011-03-03 21:20:08 EST () [2656]: [2-1] user=,db=LOG:  received
>> SIGHUP, reloading configuration files
>> 2011-03-03 21:20:08 EST () [2656]: [3-1] user=,db=LOG:  3600000 is
>> outside the valid range for parameter "max_standby_archive_delay" (-1
>> .. 2147483)
>>
>> The error is clear enough, but is there some reason that the parameter
>> is coded this way? istm people are much more likely to want to be able
>> to set the precision in hours than in microseconds.
>>
>> OTOH, maybe it's a bug? The default resolution is in milliseconds, and
>> you can't set it to anything less than that (afaict). I asked on irc
>> and the consensus seemed to be that the internal representation is
>> off, are we missing something?
>
> See this thread here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg01517.php

> across all possible codepaths. It's not an issue with just
> max_standby_delay.

Thanks for the pointer!  I guess the next question is if anyone is
working on that, and/or what would need to be done to know we've done
a satisfactory job of verifying nothing breaks across all codepaths
were someone to take on the job?

Robert Treat
play: xzilla.net
work: omniti.com