Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> wrote:
>>> What about using the PL terminology here, and calling the property
>>> 'trusted' (default false, so you have to be a superuser to load them)?

>> Hmm.  I see your point, but "trusted" seems like it could just as easily
>> be misunderstood.  Anybody have any other opinions about the color of
>> that bikeshed?

> The trusted/untrusted differentiation confuses me every single time I try to remember which is which. So how about
requires_superuseror install_as_superuser?

I think install_as_superuser might be read to mean "we will run the
script as superuser, whether the calling user is or not".  Which in
fact is a facility that might exist someday, making the chance of
confusion even greater.

requires_superuser isn't bad, but I think I'd rather avoid "requires"
here since we're also using that terminology for prerequisite
extensions.  How about "must_be_superuser"?