Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Changing the unit setting would also be a behavioral change.  I think
>>> what Bruce is suggesting is that this is simply not worth worrying about
>>> in the back branches.
>
>> It seems pretty strange not to at least document it.  And I'm not wild
>> about adding documentation that says "Even though this value purports
>> to be in kilobytes, it's really not", but I guess we can.
>
> Uh, no, the suggestion is to do *nothing* in the back branches.  Yes
> they're buggy, but without any field complaints, it's hard to argue that
> anyone much cares.  And I agree with Greg Smith that for anyone who does
> care, a behavioral change in a minor release is much harder to deal with
> than a change at a major release.

OK, so I talked to Bruce about this and I guess I've been persuaded
that we should just apply the patch I sent upthread to HEAD and leave
the back-branches broken, for fear of creating an incompatibility.
I'll go do that unless someone wants to argue further...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company