Re: temporary functions (and other object types) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: temporary functions (and other object types)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 5 November 2010 20:36, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
Hi,

A customer of ours has the need for temporary functions.  The use case
is writing test cases for their databases: the idea being that their
code creates a temp function which then goes away automatically at
session end, just like a temp table.  It's said that this makes things
generally easier for the test harness.

Other object types that would also be useful to have as temp-able are
types, domains and casts; and perhaps (if someone sees a need)
aggregates and operators.  Other objects are not necessary, but if
someone thinks that some more stuff should be made temp-able, we'd try
to go for as general a solution as possible.  But these aren't critical;
functions are the main pain point.

I haven't looked at the code at all to see how this would be
implemented; I'm basically asking whether there would be objections to
having this feature in core.

Hi,
is that possible to create all that in one transaction? You could then make rollback and all objects will just disappear.

regards
Szymon