Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chetan Suttraway
Subject Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Vibhor Kumar <vibhor.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Mar 11, 2011, at 10:38 AM, siva kiran balijepalli wrote:

>               If there is no difference between functions and stored procedures, my doubt i show does the server know whether we are writing a function or stored procedure. As per my knowledge in oracle a function must return a value where as stored procedure cannot. IS this also true in postgresql. If yes how can we acheive it?

As I have already mentioned, PG Only Support Functions and whatever you want to implement/acheive you can do with Functions too.
About returning novalue from Function, you can write a function which will not return any value (return VOID).
Following is an link which you can use for information on Functions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
vibhor.kumar@enterprisedb.com
Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com

Do check below link:
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/15-Stored-Procedures-in-PostgreSQL.html

--
Chetan Sutrave
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Phone: +91.20.30589523

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.