Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Vibhor Kumar
Subject Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mar 11, 2011, at 10:38 AM, siva kiran balijepalli wrote:

>               If there is no difference between functions and stored procedures, my doubt i show does the server know
whetherwe are writing a function or stored procedure. As per my knowledge in oracle a function must return a value
whereas stored procedure cannot. IS this also true in postgresql. If yes how can we acheive it?

As I have already mentioned, PG Only Support Functions and whatever you want to implement/acheive you can do with
Functionstoo.
About returning novalue from Function, you can write a function which will not return any value (return VOID).
Following is an link which you can use for information on Functions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation