Re: Streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> I've committed the backend side of this, without that. Still working
> on the client, and on cleaning up Heikki's patch for grammar/parser
> support.

Great work!

I have some comments:

While walsender is sending a base backup, WalSndWakeup should
not send the signal to that walsender?

In sendFile or elsewhere, we should periodically check whether
postmaster is alive and whether the flag was set by the signal?

At the end of the backup by walsender, it forces a switch to a new
WAL file and waits until the last WAL file has been archived. So we
should change postmaster so that it doesn't cause the archiver to
end before walsender ends when shutdown is requested?

Also, when shutdown is requested, the walsender which is
streaming WAL should not end before another walsender which
is sending a backup ends, to stream the backup-end WAL?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center