Re: Allowing multiple concurrent base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From marcin mank
Subject Re: Allowing multiple concurrent base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 19:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Seems like either one of these is fairly problematic in that you have to
>>> have some monstrous kluge to get the backup_label file to appear with
>>> the right name in the tarfile.  How badly do we actually need this?
>>> I don't think the use-case for concurrent base backups is all that large
>>> in practice given the I/O hit it's going to involve.
>
>> I think it can be done cleaner in the tar file injection - I've been
>> chatting with Heikki offlist about that. Not sure, but I have a
>> feeling it does.
>
> One point that I'm particularly interested to see how you'll kluge it
> is ensuring that the tarball contains only the desired temp data and not
> also the "real" $PGDATA/backup_label, should there be a normal base
> backup being done concurrently with the streamed one.
>
> The whole thing just seems too fragile and dangerous to be worth dealing
> with given that actual usage will be a corner case.  *I* sure wouldn't
> trust it to work when the chips were down.

Maybe if pg_start_backup() notices that there is another backup
running should block waiting for another session to run
pg_stop_backup() ? Or have a new function like pg_start_backup_wait()
?

Considering that parallell base backups would be io-bound (or
network-bound), there is little need to actually run them in parallell
.

Greetings
Marcin