Re: Please Help me with connecting my PostgreSQL - Mailing list psycopg

From Daniele Varrazzo
Subject Re: Please Help me with connecting my PostgreSQL
Date
List psycopg
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:54:34 am Lasntonpeng wrote:

>> It's the first time that I can't find the answer about some tech problems
>>
>> Here's my problems:
>>
>> password="123",port=5433)
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>> psycopg2.OperationalError: could not connect to server: No such file or
>> directory
>>  Is the server running locally and accepting
>> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Two problems. The first is the one Karsten already mentioned about the difference
> on ports. Second you have not specified a host so Psycopg is trying the local
> socket. If you are trying to connect from a machine other than the other one
> with the Postgres server it is not going to find the socket. Also the socket
> connection may have a  restriction in pg_hba.conf that would prevent a
> connection.

To connect to a database on the local machine, the quick answer is:
add host=127.0.0.1 to the connection string, which makes it connect to
the network socket instead of the unix socket. And I mean "127.0.0.1",
not "localhost".

All the gory details are in the pg_hba.conf documentation.

-- Daniele