Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:

>>> um.. are _not_ WAL-logged?
>>
>> Uh, yeah.  It looks like I fixed that in the version I committed, but
>> introduced another, similar mistake which I have now also fixed.
>>

> Improved support for parallel make, make -k, and make -q
>
> Can we add a line saying "-j still doesnt work, dont use it yet" or "make
> -j2 works great now".  I admit I've never tried to use -j before... is this
> telling me its ok to use now?

I've been using -j3 for a long time.  These changes just make it able
to parallelize a bit better.  As Peter says, -j without arguments is
mostly just a footgun.  I can't imagine why that option hasn't been
removed long since.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company