Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Noah's patch is trivial, as are the changes to make mine work fully.

I dispute that.  In particular:

+    /*
+     * Exchange table contents
+     *
+     * Swap heaps, toast tables, toast indexes
+     * all forks
+     * all indexes
+     *
+     * Checks:
+     * * table definitions must match
+     * * constraints must match
+     * * indexes need not match
+     * * outbound FKs don't need to match
+     * * inbound FKs will be set to not validated
+     *
+     * No Trigger behaviour
+     *
+     * How is it WAL logged? By locks and underlying catalog updates
+     */

That's another way of saying "the patch is not anywhere close to being done".

> Neither can be achieved barring sensible review.

I think Noah posted a very nice review.

> This topic delivers important functionality. I think it's more important
> than simply who gets the credit.

This is not about credit.  I like credit as much as the next guy, but
this is about the fact that there was a deadline for this CommitFest,
and that deadline is now in the past, and this patch is not in a state
to be reviewed.  The CommitFest deadline is not a deadline by which
you much post something; it's a deadline by which you much post
something that is reasonably close to being committable, or at least
reviewable.  That's obviously not the case here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company