Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 08 March 2011 15.39:56 Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ
>
> thanks
>
>> If you still have questions, be sure to mention your OS.
>
> Sorry, forgot.  Linux.
>
> The "Basic system testing" item is where I'm kinda stuck. You advise to
> "perform run time testing via psql." Which is a bit short, since obviously
> psql can't be directly started since there is no installation...
>
> Aagain, my question: are there wrappers/helpers to do this easily from the
> source/compile tree? Like: set up PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PG_WHATEVER, call
> initdb, ...

sure, linux distos provide packages that do all that stuff. if you are
rolling your own from scratch, you have to do some of that
yourself...create the user, set the path, etc. This is all documented
here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/install-post.html.If you are hacking postgres this will become
secondnature to you
very quickly.

merlin