Re: Programming error: Out of Memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Arévalo
Subject Re: Programming error: Out of Memory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jorge_Ar=E9valo?= <jorge.arevalo@deimos-space.com> writes:
>> I'm getting an error message in my Python script:
>
>> pg.ProgrammingError: ERROR:  out of memory
>> DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 16.
>
> That's pretty odd because the memory map you provided isn't showing any
> particular signs of bloat.  I wonder whether either Python or PostGIS
> is leaking memory directly (ie, through malloc calls, which wouldn't
> show in the memory map).
>
> Can you boil it down to a self-contained test case?
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Before executing the queries, the app reads a small XML file, to get
names and paths, basically. I could simply execute the query in the
console client, to isolate it. Would it be enough?

Just now I'm testing what happens if I add vm.overcommit_memory=2 to
sysctl.conf, and execute sysctl -p. If crashes again, I'll isolate the
query

Thanks again

--
Jorge Arévalo