Re: Postgres forums ... take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Elliot Chance
Subject Re: Postgres forums ... take 2
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17/11/2010, at 6:22 AM, Stephen Cook wrote:

> On 11/16/2010 10:51 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> What I'm more interested in is still a word from the people who would
>> actually *use* a forum on how this would be better than sites like
>> Nabble and Gmane.
>
> I'm one of those. I'm subscribed to these mailing lists simply because it is the only way I know of to get the
messagesin a timely fashion, but I would greatly prefer a forum-style interface.

> I had never heard of Nabble or Gmane until now, but I just checked them out and from my quick look it *looks* like a
webinterface for people who prefer mailing lists.

> I like having a category breakdown (at the moment I have my email client splitting the various lists into folders),
andI like having little icons telling me which ones I already read and which are new (my email client has that also of
course).

> So basically, the email lists are usable, but if this forum works out I'll dump my email subscription in a second and
usethat. I don't think either is inherently better than the other, it's just personal preference.

I'm not sure if anyone is noticing, or just doesn't want to but all that's becoming of the forum is a viewer for the
mailinglist with the ability to reply. There are already enough forum sites where they shove anything related to
postgresinto a single generic forum - I see no reason in recreating that.

It's a difficult balancing act to leverage the mailing list community but also use all the features that have made
forumsoftware popular in the first place. There will be people who will continue to use mailing list no matter how the
forumis presented or functions simply because that's their preferred method, and some people who are used to the
differentmethods of a forum. Everyones input is important, but for the former who are never going to use the forum
anywayshould have little influence on how it works as forum software.

OK, so solutions? Here in Sydney it's a bit after 9am so I've had time to sleep on it and heres what I'm thinking;
- Tagging system. A thread created "Performance of C vs Perl" could be tagged (by a registered user or automated
system)as [Performance] [C] [Perl] this would have no impact on the mailing list but make forum viewing and searching
morereliable, so a search might be like:
Search: "benchmark"
Tags: [Perl] [PHP]
For someone looking to find a higher performance solution or comparison between Perl and PHP. I'd rather not do this
thoughbecause it will require me to change a lot of code in the phpBB3 codebase and still doesn't use a forum in the
wayits supposed to be used.

The way I see it theres no reason why the forums can't be split the way they are now. It makes no difference to the
peoplewho will continue to use the mailing list but makes all the difference to forum users who are choosing this forum
overothers because it has all the backing of the masters on the mailing list in a much better layout of forums than any
othersite offers.

There is no perfect solution here, you can't please all the masses all the time. But I do believe there is a workable
solutionsomewhere in the middle.