Re: Upgrading Extension, version numbers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Upgrading Extension, version numbers
Date
Re: Upgrading Extension, version numbers  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
>> As Tom pointed out, you can do the same with naming conventions by having scripts \i each other as appropriate.
>
> This is a deprecated idea, though.  We're talking about the
> pg_execute_from_file() patch that has been applied, but without the
> pg_execute_sql_file() function.  So that part is internal to the backend
> extension code and not available from SQL anymore.
>
> There's no consensus to publish a bakend \i like function.  So there's
> no support for this upgrade script organizing you're promoting.  Unless
> the consensus changes again (but a commit has been done).

My understanding of the consensus is that it wasn't felt necessary for
the purpose for which it was proposed.  I think it could be
re-proposed with a different argument and very possibly accepted.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company