Re: template0 database comment - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: template0 database comment
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 15 March 2011 15:37, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 15 March 2011 15:26, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> >
>> > Applied. ?I did not bump the catalog version because they are just
>> > comments. ?I assume that is the right procedure.
>>
>> *SNIP*

>> Default administrative connection database?  Where's the "connection"
>> bit come from?
>
> There was discussion that 'postgres' is the database that is used for
> performing administrative connections, e.g. createdb.  Yeah, kind of
> odd, but that's what it is used for.

Hmm... there's actually no mention of that in the docs for such tools:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/app-createdb.html

There's also little mention of this "administrative" database in the
docs beyond saying it's merely a copy of template1 used as a default
database for users and applications to connect to.

I also notice there's no choice but to use the "postgres" database
with these tools.  Shouldn't we have an option that allows us to
specify an alternative database?

e.g.

createdb -d alternativedb newdb

--