Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The code is built using VC++ 2008 SP1, however, the generated manifest
>> requires the non-SP1 version of the runtimes. As I'm running with SP1,
>> that's the version that is included in the merge module the installer
>> uses.
>
> So, you *want* and have included the SP1 version in the MSI.
> Yet the MSI thinks it needs to install the "SP0" version
> (which is not present in the MSI and, in my case, not present
> on the machine)?

No. I want, and the MSI installs the SP1 version of the runtimes. The
compiler is linking the binary against "SP0" though (despite the fact
that VC++ claims to be the SP1 version).

>> So, there are two issues here which are not as I expect:
>>
>> 1) Why is VC++ 2008 SP1 requiring the use of the pre-SP1
>> runtimes?
>
> Does it require "SP0" *before* it can install the SP1 (i.e.,
> as a prerequisite)?  Or, are you thinking this behavior is
> "just wrong"?

It shouldn't do. If it did, why would the upgrade of Visual Studio to
SP1 *replace* the runtime merge module with the SP1 version?

>> 2) I thought that one of the benefits of side by side
>> assemblies was that an executable built using an old version
>> would automatically use a newer version if present. I guess
>> I'm missing something here.
>>
>> More research required...
>
> Let me know if there is anything I can grep from my system
> to assist.

I think I just need some time to figure it out at this stage. Time I
don't really have right now.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com