Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Bexley Hall
Subject Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave,

--- On Tue, 2/1/11, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Bexley Hall <bexley401@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I re-ran the experiment (pgadmin3 onto "virgin, up-to-date XP
> > install") and still don't see any signs of this package being
> > drawn in.  Would you like me to forward the installer's
> > log file to you directly?  (too big to post, here -- ~750KB)
>
> No need thanks - I ran the same test here, and see it is
> being installed.

Wait, it *is* being installed in your case?   So, what's the
difference between *your* "virgin, up-to-date XP" and *mine*?

> The problem appears to be this...
>
> The code is built using VC++ 2008 SP1, however, the generated manifest
> requires the non-SP1 version of the runtimes. As I'm running with SP1,
> that's the version that is included in the merge module the installer
> uses.

So, you *want* and have included the SP1 version in the MSI.
Yet the MSI thinks it needs to install the "SP0" version
(which is not present in the MSI and, in my case, not present
on the machine)?

> So, there are two issues here which are not as I expect:
>
> 1) Why is VC++ 2008 SP1 requiring the use of the pre-SP1
> runtimes?

Does it require "SP0" *before* it can install the SP1 (i.e.,
as a prerequisite)?  Or, are you thinking this behavior is
"just wrong"?
> 2) I thought that one of the benefits of side by side
> assemblies was that an executable built using an old version
> would automatically use a newer version if present. I guess
> I'm missing something here.
>
> More research required...

Let me know if there is anything I can grep from my system
to assist.

Thanks!
--don