Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I re-ran the experiment (pgadmin3 onto "virgin, up-to-date XP
> install") and still don't see any signs of this package being
> drawn in.  Would you like me to forward the installer's
> log file to you directly?  (too big to post, here -- ~750KB)

No need thanks - I ran the same test here, and see it is being installed.

The problem appears to be this...

The code is built using VC++ 2008 SP1, however, the generated manifest
requires the non-SP1 version of the runtimes. As I'm running with SP1,
that's the version that is included in the merge module the installer
uses.

So, there are two issues here which are not as I expect:

1) Why is VC++ 2008 SP1 requiring the use of the pre-SP1 runtimes?

2) I thought that one of the benefits of side by side assemblies was
that an executable built using an old version would automatically use
a newer version if present. I guess I'm missing something here.

More research required...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com