Re: Significance of USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Significance of USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM, runner <runner@winning.com> wrote:
> I don't have a problem with blowing the database cluster away and starting
> over but I'd like to have a better understanding of what USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL
> does and how it affects our install.  I spent a considerable amount of time
> googling this and was not able to locate any useful information that
> explains what this param does and how it will affect us.

it instructs the server to pass float8 (C double) by value instead of
by reference (double*).  It's an architecture optimization thing.
Anyways, you really should do initdb when switching hardware,
architecture, o/s, etc.

merlin