Create a view with variable amount of columns depending on the rows of a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Gündhör
Subject Create a view with variable amount of columns depending on the rows of a table
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

If I have following tables for example:

# Main Table:

id(id/pk) | geometry
---------------------------
1           | ...

# Additional Attribute Table:

name(id/pk) | value
---------------------------
date_added | 20.12.1988
name          | Vienna

# m:n table:

mainTableID | attrTableID
-----------------------------------
1                 | date_added
1                 | name

And i would like to automatically generate a View like
the following:

id(id/pk) | geometry | date_added | name
1           | ...           | 20.12.1988  | Vienna

This example is a simplified (and not really functional) version of what I would like to do -
but it should make clear what I have in view: Dynamically generating a View's columns depending on the rows of a table.

Does anybody know, if this is possible?

Thank you for your replies in advance,
best regards,
Stefan Gündhör