Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gene.poole@macys.com
Subject Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB
Date
Re: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Re: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Just a little background:

We're running Red Hat Satellite Server and it's used to provision our servers (both physical and virtual).  It works great and we have no issues with it  *except* It will only provision Red Hat.

Why this question:

We've been directed by our management to examine the use of other Linux distributions, like SUSE and Oracle Enterprise Linux.

The 'real' questions:

Is there a recent tutorial, white paper, how to on move/migrate from Oracle to PostgreSQL?  I can get the Oracle schema DDL by pointing our Data Modeling software at the Red Hat Satellite server and extracting the DDL.  It will take that Oracle DDL and convert it to PostgreSQL, but only version 8.x, and we were planning on looking at the open source PostgreSQL 8. Are the differences between versions that great?

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene Poole