Re: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB
Date
List pgsql-general
Gene,

* gene.poole@macys.com (gene.poole@macys.com) wrote:
> Is there a recent tutorial, white paper, how to on move/migrate from
> Oracle to PostgreSQL?

It's typically "not hard", but it depends on what you're doing w/
Oracle.  Specifically, things like stored procedures (PL/SQL) may
require updates, if you're using RAC under Oracle, etc.

> I can get the Oracle schema DDL by pointing our
> Data Modeling software at the Red Hat Satellite server and extracting the
> DDL.  It will take that Oracle DDL and convert it to PostgreSQL, but only
> version 8.x, and we were planning on looking at the open source PostgreSQL
> 8. Are the differences between versions that great?

The differences are signifigant enough that I wouldn't start with an old
major version if you have the option.  I'd recommend looking at 9.0.3 to
start, or at least 8.4.7.  I've found that Ora2Pg works quite well for
getting the schema and data across.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment