RE: [GENERAL] Too many open files... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Culberson, Philip
Subject RE: [GENERAL] Too many open files...
Date
List pgsql-general
From your description I would hazard a guess that your servlet is
misbehaving.  On Solaris, the default maximum number of open file handles
for a process is 64.  Unless if your servlet is opening a BUNCH of files, I
would look for it being in some sort of loop, opening a file, but not
closing it.  Do this enough times and you run out of file handles.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Mack [mailto:mack@ips.cs.tu-bs.de]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 5:17 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Too many open files...

Well, we got a problem with postgres 6.5.2 on SOlaris 2.6, when:

1) Executing a query with a trigger behind it, making quite a big amount
of
   queries on different relations,
2) and when this query is executed from an applet via a servlet on
Apache 1.3.3
   using postgresql.jar as db driver.

So, the message is:

ERROR:  Load of file /usr/dblocal/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: ld.so.1:
/usr/dblocal/pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: /dev/zero: open failed: Too
many open files

(or similar).

The problem does not exist, if we execute it via psql.

So I tracked it down to dlopen(filename,1). But really, I do not know,
what might
be the real reason for the failure: is it postgres (probably not),
Apache, restricting
the environment "somehow", or postgresql.jar (it should just give the
query to the
backend, so probably not as well), or Solaris itself (but why do I not
get an error,
if I execute it via psql?) or where should I check further?

I am a little confused on how to repair the problem, as it is most
probably not
a problem with postgres. Anybody had similar experiences or even a
solution (besides
not using the trigger)?

Thanks,
Thomas Mack
TU Braunschweig, Abt. Informationssysteme