Re: Permissions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Permissions
Date
List pgsql-novice
Andre Labuschagne wrote:
> You better believe it.
>
> The best databases on the planet do allow that - Mimer, Sybase and now I am finding Interbase as well.
> These vendors say the feature I request is security 101.  There are no doubt others that I have not
> seen nor tested yet.  But not allowing that feature means there is de facto zero security.  As it
> stands now PG has zero security.

Harsh words.

Since there was little context in the e-mail, I read the thread, and from what I read
I understood that what you want is to backup a database at site A, ship it to site B
and restore it there while making sure that nobody can tamper with the backup or steal it
while it is being shipped.

Is that correct?

If yes, why not encrypt the backup before shipment?
Any encryption tool like GnuPG (https://gnupg.org/) should be up to the task.

It may well be that many databases have features that allow you to encrypt a backup
with on-board tools, but PostgreSQL doesn't have the manpower to write and maintain paraphernalia
like that with with the core distribution.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe