Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type?
Date
Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type?
List pgsql-general
pinker wrote:
> I've tried to write audit trigger which fires only when data changed, so I used "WHEN (OLD.* IS
> DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause as described in documentation
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtrigger.html> . Should this clause be independent
> from data type? because an error occurs when I'm trying to modify row with point data type: ERROR:
> could not identify an equality operator for type point

I guess it is dependent on data type as it requires an equality operator,
and type "point" doesn't have one.

You'd have to hand-roll a comparison in this case, probably using the
"same as" operator "~=".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe