Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type? - Mailing list pgsql-general

I've tried to write audit trigger which fires only when data changed, so I used "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause as described in documentation. Should this clause be independent from data type? because an error occurs when I'm trying to modify row with point data type: ERROR: could not identify an equality operator for type point Example:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS test1
( col1 POINT
)
WITH (
OIDS =FALSE
);

INSERT INTO test1 VALUES ('(0,1)');

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_update() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $BODY$ BEGIN
   RETURN NEW;
 END; $BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
COST 100;