Re: AMD vs Intel - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: AMD vs Intel
Date
List pgsql-performance
Johan Loubser wrote:
> I am tasked with getting specs for a postgres database server for the
> core purpose of running moodle at our university.
> The main question is at the moment is 12core AMD or 6/8core (E Series)
> INTEL.
>
> What would be the most in portend metric in planning an enterprise level
> server for moodle.

I know too little about hardware to give an answer, but there are a few
things to consider:

- The faster each individual core is, the faster an individual
  query will be processed (in-memory sorting, hash tables etc.).

- More cores will help concurrency, but maybe not a lot: often it is
  I/O bandwidth that is the limiting factor for concurrency.

I think the best thing would be to estimate the amount of data,
concurrent users and operations per second you expect.

There is the excellent book "PostgreSQL High Performance" by Greg Smith
that I would recommend to read.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe