Re: AMD vs Intel - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: AMD vs Intel
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 9/4/2013 3:01 AM, Johan Loubser wrote:
> I am tasked with getting specs for a postgres database server for the
> core purpose of running moodle at our university.
> The main question is at the moment is 12core AMD or 6/8core (E Series)
> INTEL.
>
> What would be the most in portend metric in planning an enterprise
> level server for moodle.

The only way to be sure is to test your workload on the two different
machines.

That said, we moved from AMD to Intel E series Xeon a year ago. We were
using 8-core AMD devices not 12, and switched to 6-core Intel. The Intel
devices were more attractive due to their (much) higher single-core
performance. Another factor was a history of hardware bugs in the
support chips used on AMD systems that we haven't generally seen with
Intel. So all other things being equal, Intel brings less hassle, in my
experience.