Re: Updating Sourceforge - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Updating Sourceforge
Date
List pgsql-www
On Apr 11, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 11 April 2013 19:50, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Thirded.
>>

>> -1
>>
>> This is a form of advocacy for the project, just like listing anywhere else.
>
> Is it really? Does anybody care about sourceforge these days?
>
> And is it good advocacy if people go there and download old versions?
>
>> Putting correct and useful information out there is what we should be trying
>> to do more of, not less.
>>
>> I completely agree that you guys shouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean
>> nobody does it at all.
>

> We are clearly not capable of keeping the sourceforge records up to date.
>
> We've had multiple different people in charge of it, and it has
> *never* been updated on time more than once after a new person picks
> it up. In this case, it's clearly lacking by *years*.
>
> We do have the same issue at freshmeat, but at least there is no
> *code* uploaded there.
>

>> I'll arrange it, if you don't object.
>
> While I don't trust you any less than the previous people who have
> volunteered to maintain this and then failed one or two releases
> later, I personally think we've reached the point where we should just
> accept that we can't do it, and get rid of it. We can keep switching
> maintainers, but in the end, I don't think it's worth it.
>
> That's IMO, of course, others may vary.

While I do agree with Simon in that it is an avenue for increased visibility of the PG project, the track record of
keepingthe info up-to-date is poor - even looking at the older versions of files listed, the releases were not kept up
todate.

With that said, if Sourceforge has some sort of API that we could plug into and just write a request to upload new
releasesfor PG to, it may be worthwhile.  But if we cannot automate it, I don't think it's worthwhile.

Jonathan