Re: BUG #17148: About --no-strict-names option and --quiet option of pg_amcheck command - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: BUG #17148: About --no-strict-names option and --quiet option of pg_amcheck command
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Julien Rouhaud also pointed out off-list that the help output and documentation
aren't in agreement about how --quiet works. In the documentation we say:

    "Print fewer messages, and less detail regarding any server errors."

But the help output takes a stronger position on this:

    $ ./bin/pg_amcheck --help |grep quiet
      -q, --quiet                     don't write any messages

The latter isn't entirely true IMO, so I think we should reconcile them with
something like this while in here and fixing things anyways:

-       printf(_("  -q, --quiet                     don't write any messages\n"));
+       printf(_("  -q, --quiet                     print fewer and less detailed messages\n"));

Thoughts?