MS Access 2007 update write conflict problem & resolution - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Little, Douglas
Subject MS Access 2007 update write conflict problem & resolution
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi,

We’ve been struggling with an MS Access 2007 app that updates a PG table.   It was working,  and then it wasn’t.

It looks like we recreated the table without specifying the precision on the timestamp columns.

PG is defaulting to timestamp(6), which doesn’t work with MS Access.  The finest precision Access can deal with is timestamp(3).

When the record is retrieved from PG it displays 6 microseconds,  when Access prepares the update, the value is rounded to 3 microseconds.

The update can’t then locate the row  (timestamp mismatch), and displays  the ‘write conflict’ error.

Altering the column to timestamp(0) corrected the issue.

2 questions

1-       PGAdmin was reporting the precision as 0, while a select was displaying 6 microseconds.  Is this a known bug in pgadmin?

2-      Is there a way in PG that I can set the default precision on timestamp?

Thanks

I’ll cross post to the pgadmin list for the pgadmin question.

Doug Little

Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Enterprise Data Management | Orbitz Worldwide

500 W. Madison, Suite 1000  Chicago IL 60661| Office 312.260.2588 | Fax 312.894.5164 | Cell 847-997-5741

Douglas.Little@orbitz.com

 cid:image001.jpg@01CABEC8.D4980670  orbitz.com | ebookers.com | hotelclub.com | cheaptickets.com | ratestogo.com | asiahotels.com

Attachment