Re: What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject Re: What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Merlin,

> The 9206 ms time is what the database actually spent
> gathering the data and sending it to you.  This is non-negotiable unless you bump up
> hardware, etc, or fetch less data.  This time usually scales linearly
> (or close to it) with the size of the dataset you fetch.
>
> The 40638 ms time is pgAdmin putting the data in the grid.  This time
So it take PostgreSQL 9206 ms to get the data AND send it to the client. It than takes PGAdmin 40638 ms to display the
data?

> solution).  In the meantime, I would suggest using queries to refine
> your terms a little bit...(do you really need to view all 80k
> records at once?).
The application is build in Clarion, a 4 GL environment. We do not have any influence over the query it generates and
executes.

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.