What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi all,

My system is a PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7). It
hasa Pentium III-733 Mhz with 512 MB ram. It is connected to my workststation (dual XEON 1700 with 1 Gb RAM) with a 100
Mbswitched network.

I have a table with 31 columns, all fixed size datatypes. It contains 88393 rows. Doing a "select * from table" with
PGAdminIII in it's SQL window, it takes a total of 9206 ms query runtime an a 40638 ms data retrievel runtime.

Is this a reasonable time to get 88393 rows from the database?

If not, what can I do to find the bottleneck (and eventually make it faster)?

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14