Re: Bug #929: Client connection to postgresql hangs indefi - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Claudio Natoli
Subject Re: Bug #929: Client connection to postgresql hangs indefi
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> > where test.sql is a file composed of many, many thousands
> of the following pair of statements:
> >     create table dud_table (f integer);
> >     drop table dud_table;
> > Invariably, after some period of time, the second
> connection (B) will
> > hang.
>
> It would help if you would quantify how many create/drop
> pairs it takes.

[Lots. Ok, I know that doesn't help. =]

The thing is, it happens occasionally. The more statements you throw at it,
the more likely it is to hang before completing the file...

As an attempt at quantification, I'll say this. We are currently using a
test file with about 5000 pairs of create/drop. It (almost?) never makes it
through a pass of this file. Your mileage may vary.

> > Note: Problem may be limited to Windows installation (cygipc?); have
> > reproduced on "virgin" Win2K; have not been able to reproduce under
> > Linux
>
> If you've tried and failed to reproduce on Linux then the most likely
> bet is that it's a Cygwin bug.  But it would be good to try on some
> other Unixoid platforms before pointing a finger in that direction.

Absolutely. Certainly possible to imagine some form of race condition in
cygipc being responsible, but I'm only guessing from the symptoms (not from
any knowledge of the implementation of either postgres or cygwin/ipc).

Cheers,
Claudio

http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html