sql scripts and other questions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject sql scripts and other questions.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
I am new to postgresql but not sql.  I am converting a database from froxpro
to postgresql.   Using postgresql 7.1.3, latest odbc driver, and I have
pgAdmin II.  Im using win2k administering the database sitting on rehat
linux.  So far, the data conversion has gone without any problems.  However,
I would like to keep my foxpro application client using an odbc connection.
This also has gone without any problems.  If anybody needs help in porting
(or I perfer evolving) from foxpro, feel free to drop me a line.
(merlin@radiosoft.com)

I plan to learn the pl-sql scripting language but do not have time in my
timeframe for this project conversion (2 weeks!).  My clients and I just got
sick and tired of foxpro currupting our data.  Note, if you are looking for
answers to these questions, this post is in both the novice and the qustions
newsgroup.

Here are my qeustions.

are postgresql fucntions the equivalent of stored procedures? Can I call
them from across an odbc connection?.

If not, what is the best way to execute 100% sql scripts from an odbc
client.  Ideally, I would like to see the remote equivalent of the \i
<filename> option that I can call reomotely from psql.

I have noticed that odbc cursors created by postmaster are read only.   Is
there a workaround for this other than calling sql update?  My cursors are
nothing more than select * from table.

The most important part of this process is the ability to send back the
p-key back to the client.  I would expect to do this in the form of a stored
procedure (function?) with the return val as the p-key for reinsertion by
the client into the detail tables.  Is their an example of how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Merlin.