Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Subject Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <20754.1086790815@sss.pgh.pa.us>,
Tom Lane  <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Depends which startup script you are using.  I know that up till
>recently the Red Hat init script did
>
>    su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "pg_ctl start ..."
>
>and because it forced /bin/sh, anything you might have put in say
>~postgres/.bash_profile wouldn't get read.  You can just take out
>that -s switch though.

Actually, I think it's that bash is broken (well, it is if you ask me, but
not if you ask Chet Ramey).  At least it was circa 2001 when I last looked
at this issue.

I had to ask -l to get my init scripts to work (that is, to source .profile
when started with su - ).

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/