Re: usage for 'with recursive'? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: usage for 'with recursive'?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/1/07, Kenneth Downs <ken@secdat.com> wrote:
> Better?  I think perhaps different.  There is materialized path, which
> requires a very problematic unlimited-length column to hold the path,
> and there is upper/lower bounds, which again requires client-side
> row-by-row processing.  Both have the unpleasant problem that changes to
> one row may affect many others.

there are also other approaches.
i know that they are not that well known, but there are, and they
allow many things to be done with very simple queries.
i use a solution which basically allows me to query every kind of
tree-structure data without loops or recursion. drawbacks are 2 and
are very limited:
1. it uses some triggers
2. it has some (slight in my opinion) overhead.
i wrote an article about it here
(http://www.depesz.com/various/various-sqltrees-implementation.php).
it's in polish, but has lots of examples so should be easily readable.

depesz