Re: 8.1.8 Installer Fails on Win2k Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From andyk
Subject Re: 8.1.8 Installer Fails on Win2k Server
Date
List pgsql-general
    Hi!

    This is a known problem on systems, where you try to install
PostgreSQL via remote Terminal Service Session. You can install server
without initiating database, and later run initdb under non privileged
user using cmd. You should specify the same datadir which postgresql
service would expect as a data folder. You can do:

runas /user:NON_PRIVILEGED_USER_NAME cmd

[in the newly opened window run initdb:]

initdb -D "POSTGRESQL_INSTALL_PATH/pgdata" -U SUPER_USER_NAME -W

    For additional info read PostgreSQL manual or type "initdb --help"

Best regards,
Andrei Kovalevski

-- Original
I am installing on a Cisco Media Server 7800 running Win2k Server and am
noticing that the installer fails every time with the error dialog
saying "Failed to create process for initdb: Access is denied". It looks
like that I need to change some permission in the registry allowing
other users spawn processes. Any pointer in this respect is highly
appreciated.