Re: Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Durumdara
Subject Re: Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

2009/12/21 Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>
Durumdara wrote:
>> - Change the client encoding to WIN1250 (e.g. by
>> setting the environment variable PGCLIENTENCODING).
>
> So if I have Python and pygresql, can I set this value in Python?
> The main problem that I don't want to set this value globally
> - possible another applications want to use another encoding...

There may be special Python functions, but you can use the following
SQL statement: SET client_encoding TO 'WIN1250'

And what happening what DB recognize not win1250 character in SQL?
Is it converted to "?" or an exception dropped?
And if the UTF db contains non win1250 character?
Is it replaced in result with "?" or some exception dropped?

Thanks:
   dd