Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent
Date
Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent
List pgsql-general
On Oct 9, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Mike Christensen wrote:

> Can you explain what you mean by "put it in a domain" - I'd love extra
> style points, but this sounds like a feature I haven't learned about
> yet.

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-createdomain.html

Domains are basically type aliases with an optional CHECK clause, so
you could do something like:

    CREATE DOMAN sales_tax_rate AS DECIMAL(5,5) CHECK (VALUE >= 0);

Then, you can use the type "sales_tax_rate" in your tables, etc. just
as a normal first-class type.  (The only limitation, right now, is
that you can't create an array of them.)

solution for what you are looking for.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com