Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Christensen
Subject Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the info!  I was thinking this would be a short thread but
I definitely appreciate all the information.

I will definitely create a domain for this (and probably for some
other types in my app since I now know about this).  However, is the
CHECK really necessary?  A numeric(5,5) already has a maximum value of
10^0, so it would already create an overflow error if you set it
higher.  Is there an advantage of using the CHECK constraint?  Perhaps
this is faster or doesn't lock the row on update or something?

Just to point out, NUMERIC and DECIMAL are one and the same yes?

Mike