Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raimon Fernandez
Subject Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP
Date
List pgsql-general
On 27/10/2009, at 8:29, John R Pierce wrote:

> Raimon Fernandez wrote:
>> REALbasic has plugin for PostgreSQL, but they are synchronous  and
>> freeze the GUI when interacting with PG. This is not a problem
>> noramlly, as the SELECTS/UPDATES/... are fast enopugh, but
>> sometimes we need to fetch 1000, 5000 or more rows and the
>> application stops to respond, I can't have a progressbar because
>> all is freeze, until all data has come from PG, so we need a better
>> way.
>
> I would think the better solution would be to get the vendor to fix
> its native plugin to support an asynchronous mode.   Or, does this
> RealBasic support any sort of client-server or multi-task type
> programming?  if so, have a separate task or thread that does the
> SQL operations which your interactice program interfaces with...

The plugin is from the same company REALbasic, and it's free.

They don't have any plans to support asynchronous mode, maybe only in
the plugin for their own database, REALserver, wich serves a SQLite
database

REALbasic supports threads (multitasking), but also they freeze when
using the plugin and waiting for a complete answer from the plugin
call ...

Thanks,

regards,

raimon