Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP
Date
List pgsql-general
Raimon Fernandez wrote:
> REALbasic has plugin for PostgreSQL, but they are synchronous  and
> freeze the GUI when interacting with PG. This is not a problem
> noramlly, as the SELECTS/UPDATES/... are fast enopugh, but sometimes
> we need to fetch 1000, 5000 or more rows and the application stops to
> respond, I can't have a progressbar because all is freeze, until all
> data has come from PG, so we need a better way.

I would think the better solution would be to get the vendor to fix its
native plugin to support an asynchronous mode.   Or, does this RealBasic
support any sort of client-server or multi-task type programming?  if
so, have a separate task or thread that does the SQL operations which
your interactice program interfaces with...