Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> If someone wants functions to enforce a stricter validity check (e.g. via a check constraint on a domain), or to
convertjson to a canonical version which strips out prior keys of the same name and their associated values, then these
shouldbe relatively simple to implement given the parser API in the current patch. But they aren't part of the current
patch,and I think it's way too late to be adding such things.

I think it might be good to get something like this into core eventually, otherwise I suspect that there will be a
differentversion of it for every JSON-using project out there. And my first cut at it won’t descend into sub-objects.

> I have been persuaded by arguments made upthread that the best thing to do is exactly what other well known
json-acceptingimplementations do (e.g. V8), which is to accept json with duplicate keys and to treat the later
key/valueas overriding the former key/value. If I'd done that from the start nobody would now be talking about this at
all.

That’s true, though I might have started thinking about a canonicalizing function before long. :-)

Best,

David