Re: CustomScan in a larger structure (RE: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kouhei Kaigai
Subject Re: CustomScan in a larger structure (RE: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

I'm now implementing. The above design perfectly works on ForeignScan.
On the other hands, I'd like to have deeper consideration for CustomScan.

My recent patch adds LibraryName and SymbolName on CustomScanMethods
to lookup the method table even if library is not loaded yet.
However, this ExtensibleNodeMethods relies custom scan provider shall
be loaded, by parallel infrastructure, prior to the deserialization.
It means extension has a chance to register itself as well.

My idea is, redefine CustomScanMethod as follows:

typedef struct ExtensibleNodeMethods
{   const char *extnodename;   Size        node_size;   Node     *(*nodeCopy)(const Node *from);   bool
(*nodeEqual)(constNode *a, const Node *b);   void      (*nodeOut)(struct StringInfoData *str, const Node *node);   void
    (*nodeRead)(Node *node);

} ExtensibleNodeMethods;

typedef struct CustomScanMethods
{   union {       const char *CustomName;       ExtensibleNodeMethods  xnode;   };   /* Create execution state
(CustomScanState)from a CustomScan plan node */   Node       *(*CreateCustomScanState) (struct CustomScan *cscan);

} CustomScanMethods;

It allows to pull CustomScanMethods using GetExtensibleNodeMethods
by CustomName; that is alias of extnodename in ExtensibleNodeMethods.
Thus, we don't need to care about LibraryName and SymbolName.

This kind of trick is not needed for ForeignScan because all the pointer
stuff are reproducible by catalog, however, method table of CustomScan
is not.

How about your opinion?

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>