[RFC] CLUSTER VERBOSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Subject [RFC] CLUSTER VERBOSE
Date
Re: [RFC] CLUSTER VERBOSE  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi folks,

I figure - I should start brand new thread for this one - so here you
go.

I am in a need for verbose CLUSTER. Ie. one that would give me
feedback and progress.
Because CLUSTER is divided into two major operations, (data
reordering, index rebuild) - I see it this way:

CLUSTER on I: <index name> T: <table name>, data reordering
CLUSTER on I: <index name> T: <table name>, index rebuild

and than:
CLUSTER 10%
CLUSTER 12% , etc

(yeah, I know how hard it is to write good progress ..).

I don't have even slight doubt that it can be useful, just like
"VACUUM VERBOSE" is. So no question about it.
I am seeking for comments. Ideas.
The patch would not be very intrusive, atm no one is using VERBOSE
for CLUSTER, because it is not there. And nothing would change in
this area.
I am looking for opinions, on what information should be presented.
Perhaps there's also use for some information it might gather
elsewhere (stats, etc) - but that's not really my point atm.

Thanks for all comments.
btw, I would really appreciate not CCing me on this, I am subscribed
here for yeaaars now (8.0 times).

ta.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz