Re: [RFC] CLUSTER VERBOSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [RFC] CLUSTER VERBOSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> Because CLUSTER is divided into two major operations, (data reordering,
> index rebuild) - I see it this way:
>
> CLUSTER on I: <index name> T: <table name>, data reordering
> CLUSTER on I: <index name> T: <table name>, index rebuild

Something like that would be nice to see how long each step takes, like
vacuum verbose.

> and than:
> CLUSTER 10%
> CLUSTER 12% , etc

We don't have progress indicators for any other commands, and I don't
see why we should add one for cluster in particular. Sure, progress
indicators are nice, but we should rather try to add some kind of a
general progress indicator support that would support SELECTs for
example. I know it's much harder, but also much more useful.

> I am looking for opinions, on what information should be presented.

What would be useful is some kind of a metric of how (de)clustered the
table was before CLUSTER, and the same # of dead vs. live row counts
that vacuum verbose prints.

We don't really have a good metric for clusteredness, as have been
discussed before, so if you can come up with a good one that would be
useful in the planner as well, that would be great.